Saturday, December 11, 2010

hm.

My Christian Ministries class is one of my favorite classes. It brings to light concepts and views that I had never thought of. It constantly reminds me about different interpretations of the Bible and that nobody sees the Bible the same as the next guy. For example, in class today, a group gave a presentation on homosexuality. Their interpretation of the Bible on this touchy subject, is that being gay is not a sin and that we should encourage those of the homosexual orientation to step up as authoritative figures in today's society. I don't remember my blood pressure ever being so high when I heard this. I don't really know why, because really, I don't care if someone is gay or not. Whatever floats their boat. But I knew that what they were saying was definitely wrong and it bugged me that they had the audacity to suggest that. Just thinking about it makes me ...whatever. When they were done with their presentation, there was time for open discussion. Not really knowing how I should go about this whole sitiation, I said what came off the top of my head. I reminded the presentors that God called us to "Be fruitful and Multiply", and I said flatly that it's kinda hard to do that when you're gay. Feeling a little better about things, because they didn't argue with that statement, I continued on with the story of Lot and the angels that visited him in Sodom. A few men in the town came to Lot's door telling Lot to let the angels go outside so they can have sex with them. Lot instead offers his two virgin daughters. And eventually God destroyed the city, even though it wasn't just because of homosexual acts. Right when I said that, I got shot down by a guy in the class saying "Oh please, dear God, don't bring up that scenario. That's the biggest bunch of bull I've heard all day." That left me confused. What did I say wrong? I know it was in the old testament, and that the old testament doesn't have to be taken so literally anymore, but I still don't know how to take that comment. So I just shut up.
By the way, did you know they found chariot wheels in the Red Sea?

2 comments:

crystalkupper said...

College really does a lot to open your mind, even at a Christian school! I remember going through the same thing. Don't be afraid to get shot down -- it's how you learn and grow. I'd love to talk with you more about this subject, as it's a little deep for a blog comment. :-)

Hannah said...

I'm proud of you for standing up for your beliefs. I can remember so many times in college (and I went to non-Christian and Christian ones) driving home, just frustrated, mad, upset, crying, you name it! Just keep standing strong, it's worth it! It's discouraging when people make you feel bad for believing what you know to be true...and worse when they criticize or shoot you down (because usually you know they wouldn't want you to do that to them!). Anyways, good for you!! Love ya!